Aurora Solar UX Design Internship
Project 1: Help Center Redesign
During my internship with Aurora—a solar software company—I was tasked with a full website revamp. Aurora Solar built its help center on Zendesk’s infrastructure. It’s a repository of content that is designed to help new clients quickly come up to speed with Aurora. It is also intended to contain information that will help make ‘power users’ make the most of Aurora’s feature set. My primary goal was to make the clients more productive by educating them on how to use Aurora, quickly answering their questions, and directing them towards helpful and related features that they may not be aware of.
- User Research
- User Testing
- UX Design
- 3D Modeling
- Project 1 — 10 weeks
- Project 2 — 2 weeks
- Challenge — 1 week
- What the help centers of top companies’ objectives were, and if they achieved them. What some of their practices were and which ones Aurora should adopt.
- The content is really visually appealing and engaging
- The layout makes it easy to find what you’re looking for
- The colors and typography are solid, strong and consistent with branding
- The site looks great on all devices from mobile to desktop
- The support center articles are well written and easy to understand
- The ability to view support center by topics or by articles is a great way to organize content
After completing the surveys, I gathered their responses on Google Sheets and presented my findings below.
To fully understand the issues with the current site, I also reviewed the Zendesk data. I found reports of the utilization of the help center. I researched:
- What are the most viewed / clicked on articles? Why are these the most clicked on articles?
- Are the clients finding answers to their questions?
- Historical comparisons of the website.
The redesign improved:
- Understandable content
- Easy site navigation
- Customer Acquisition Tool
- Beautiful layout/design
Project 2: Boosting Mobile Conversions
When going through the current conversion funnel, I noticed that it took me a long time to submit my contact information to Aurora. I wanted to eliminate as many unnecessary steps as possible in their process.
- Their search patterns.
- How visitors arrived at the mobile site.
- Mobile user demographics.
Aurora Solar Design Challenge